Networking and the firewall (Was Re: Isn't it time for the encrypted file system???)

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 00:54:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 16:05 -0500, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> blizzard  2153  0.0  0.1   8364   624 ?        Ss   Mar25   0:00
> /usr/sbin/httpd -f /usr/share/gnome-user-share/dav_user.conf -C Listen 60258

Yea, gnome-user-share is great; I use it a lot, every day actually.

However, when I started using it I found that I had to turn off the
firewall since it listens on an arbitrary high port in the desktop
session.. Did this ever get fixed, ie. do we punch holes in the firewall
as appropriate? Similar, does Rhythmbox and Banshee punch holes for
their sharing services? Or do we still say "disable the firewall and
know what you are doing".

IIRC there were similar issues with SMB browsing and alexl did a
netfilter kernel module to work around this around the FC3 / RHEL4
time-frame; not sure it's that easy for g-u-s and the media players.

     David