Networking and the firewall (Was Re: Isn't it time for the encrypted file system???)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Mar 30 17:44:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 11:54:54AM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> No, my view is that consolehelper is fundamentally flawed. Now that we
> have something like D-BUS there is absolutely no reason, apart from
> laziness, that you ever want run X11 programs as root or another user.
> Think for a minute about just how much code runs with root. Not to
> mention desktop integration issues [1].

Well, having this would allow the existing consolehelper to take the place
of the "polkit-su" tool you mention in
<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2006-March/004770.html>. So
instead of having a new thing, consolehelper could auth to access your
'polkit' user.

It seems better to me to make this rather small change to consolehelper
rather than to make yet another tool from scratch. Maybe I'm missing
something important, though -- that often happens. :)

> [1] : Try running System->Administration->System Log Viewer; open a log
> file and look at the file chooser. Not to mention gconf issues.

Oh, you don't have to convince me about this part. :)