Networking and the firewall (Was Re: Isn't it time for the encrypted file system???)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Mar 30 16:09:51 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 08:10:40PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Sounds good, although I wonder if it might be nicer to implement this in a
> > way similar to that described here: <http://blog.fubar.dk/?p=66>.
> Yea, that's what I was rambling about in my other mail.

Are you interested in the run-as-user functionality for consolehelper I
suggested in your blog comments? I'd hate to see yet another duplication of
the how-to-let-regular-users-auth-for-higher-privs wheel.

It seems like consolehelper has pretty much everything that's required for
that part of the process, except as it stands, it only can execute things as
root rather than running programs as your suggested unprivileged "system
user".