Improving the way we select multilib packages for trees

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon May 1 15:24:24 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> writes:
> On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 11:10 +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
>> Nobody has come up with a feasible plan for dealing with
>> %{_bindir}/foo-config scripts AFAIK.

> Probably the best thing to do in these cases is to create pkgconfig .pc
> files and then make the foo-config script a simple wrapper around
> pkgconfig.

How will that fix the problem that you need to return different results
depending on whether the user is interested in the 32-bit or 64-bit
libraries?  Right now the script would require psychic abilities to
figure that out, because the user has no way to indicate it.

If we bit the bullet and had separate /usr/bin/ and /usr/bin64/
directories, then it'd be trivial: store the appropriate config program
in each of those directories, and the user uses $PATH or an explicit
path to indicate which one he wants.

			regards, tom lane