Fedora Core package cleanup project

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Thu May 25 13:24:18 UTC 2006

Michael J. Knox wrote:
>> I had hoped to get this all done by today, but didn't realize the
>> volume of bugs that would be coming into bugzilla.  I was hit with
>> about 120 bugs in the last few days.
>
> Ouch! I noticed that there have been patches attached to most of the
> xorg-x11-drv reports.

Yep, and that helps, but I still need to review each one to
ensure all of the changes are accurate, and adjust if necessary.

For example, there is a bug requesting that xorg-x11-fonts have
"BuildRequires: fontconfig" added to it, as it calls fc-cache
aparently during font building.  The proper fix for that though,
is to patch the Makefiles, etc. to _not_ call fc-cache, as we
do not ship any build time created fonts.cache files in any
font packages - we generate them at install time in the rpm
scripts, and not for all fonts.

I prefer to confirm all suggested changes, to catch things like
that, rather than blindly applying all patches. ;)

>> I believe I will be able to allocate some time to resolving the
>> buildrequires problems in the various X packages in rawhide this
>> week, and hopefully also the multilib/manpage problems.
>>
>> I'd like to thank everyone who has worked on finding and reporting
>> these issues!
>
> Anything that can be done to make FC a even better palce :)

A better palace?  Oooh.. I can't wait to see it!  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.