dist-hg proof-of-concept ready for use

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Nov 8 18:20:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 01:06:02PM -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-11 at 13:05 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 November 2006 12:22, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> > > This plan basically goes out the window if we move to something other
> > > than CVS or SVN because there either isn't a plugin at all or isn't a
> > > mature plugin for the other VC systems being considered.  This is not to
> > > say that it won't change in the future, but as of now, the only things
> > > we can support are CVS (part of the Eclipse SDK) and SVN
> > > (eclipse-subclipse in Extras).
> > >
> > > I know a final decision has yet to be made, but please take Eclipse
> > > support into consideration.
> > >
> > > I'm obviously not asking everyone to use Eclipse for their Fedora
> > > package work, but I'm hoping to make it so nice that at least some
> > > people will *want* to do so :)
> >
> > Wouldn't having a major distributions workflow involve something like git or
> > hg add motivation to create Eclipse plugins for these SCMs?
>
> Perhaps.  Our group doesn't have the time or peoplepower to do this,
> though.  Perhaps the various attempts at writing these plugins will pan
> out.
>
> > Many upstream
> > projects are transitioning to either git, or hg because of the
> > distributedness of it, something you can't get from CVS or SVN.
>
> I don't personally see the need for the distributedness when it comes to
> Fedora packaging stuff.  But perhaps I'm missing something.

The thing about distributed SCM is that they don't force you to work in
a distributed mode - you can still use a workflow that's pretty much
same as in a centralized model, but if you want to take advantage of
the distributedness it is there for you. Personally the two aspects I
find most compelling are complete access to repository when offline
(great for working on laptops remotely), and distributed backups. So
compelling I used distributed SCM for all my projects even if I'm the
only one working on it. Keith Packard has an interesting article about
this in a little more depth

http://keithp.com/blog/Repository_Formats_Matter.html

Regards,
Dan.