dist-hg proof-of-concept ready for use

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 8 18:40:10 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 13:25, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> I was more interested in hearing why a distributed VCS was important for
> Fedora packaging.  Daniel's comments illustrate a few benefits but I
> don't _personally_ see how these are that important for this
> application.

They don't.  The distributed part of things isn't what makes hg or git
attractive, what makes them attractive is the proliferation of their usage in
other upstream projects.  Add to that things like git/hg-bisect for debugging
changes, patch queue/stack management, changesets for easier merging, etc..
Also being able to break out each release "branch" of a package into its own
standalone repo has some nice wins too, encapsulated history, better/easier
ACL management, less stuff to check out, etc...  Also the ui of hg is pretty
nice, although I hear more people prefer git for the serverside storage it
offers.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora