dist-hg proof-of-concept ready for use

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Nov 8 23:57:49 UTC 2006

Carl Worth wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 14:22:01 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>> The hangup for me remains the git UI, especially since I'm using Eclipse
>> a lot and would lose the GUI stuff, but also the git command line and
>> web frontends are pretty strange. But, this is probably not such an
>> issue for Fedora as it is for us desktop/web-oriented developers... ;-)
>
> Havoc, I don't follow your argument at all. If Eclipse is the
> important UI, then how could the git command-line be relevant at all?

I'm just talking about my personal preference.

I use both command line and Eclipse pretty often. Eclipse is not "the
important UI" for Fedora I'm quite sure (at least right now - maybe with
the SRPM plugin it is), but it's one I use since I write a lot of Java
lately. But I also use Emacs for C, and use the terminal a good bit.

To me the git docs are a sea of implementation details and terminology
often at some kind of strange lower level than I want to know about.[1]

I know some people (e.g. obviously Keith and Linus) greatly enjoy
understanding this level, and more power to them ;-)

I just hope before I get stuck using git for something someone will
figure out how to bury some of this stuff a bit more.

Let's put it this way: honestly I don't care how cool the git
implementation is, if I have to _know_ what the implementation is. If I
wanted to know, I would write my own version control system like
everyone else ;-)

Havoc

[1] I'm not going to be productive and try to design something
better/ideal, since it would take weeks, but if you "man git" there's a
"Plumbing" section and a "Porcelain" section. As a start, I'd like to
live in a world where "Plumbing" was somewhere I never saw it.
Right now the terminology and goo from that layer leaks out everywhere,
whether it's in the docs, in the output of git-<Tab>, in status
messages, or in UIs that show me huge hex numbers and say things like
"blob" when they mean "file." svn presumably also has "plumbing" but I
don't know about it and am happy not to.

I'm skipping superficial UI complaints like "who the hell uses Tk in
2006?" ;-)