dist-hg proof-of-concept ready for use

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Thu Nov 9 11:59:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 01:06:02PM -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> I don't personally see the need for the distributedness when it comes to
> Fedora packaging stuff.  But perhaps I'm missing something.

I agree, the idea of using a distributed SCM based around
changeset-versioning *for /cvs/dist* seems completely nuts.

Note the applicability caveat.  Whether or not hg/git/... is a great SCM
for your software project of choice is completely irrellevant to not
its applicability to the /cvs/dist package repository.

For /cvs/dist I don't care about off-line access at all, ever.  CVS is
off-line enough for me.  You can't do anything less off-line than what
we have now without having a mirror of the tarball cache, and that
probably isn't going to fit on your laptop, so stop flogging that horse.

I also don't care ever about making local private branches.  Number of
times I have wanted a private branch in 6 years of doing packaging work
with CVS?  Zero.  So I don't want to have to be doing a two-command
"commit locally, push remotely" dance.  That's just a waste of time and
sanity.

I also never ever want to check out the whole /cvs/dist repository, nor
be pulling changes for the whole repos to update the small parts I have
checked out.  I only care about 20-30 packages in the whole tree.  But I
do care about having those small parts of the tree checked out quickly
and easily in multiple places.  That's really useful and I depend on
that regularly.

joe