dist-hg proof-of-concept ready for use

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Nov 9 13:09:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 11:59 +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 01:06:02PM -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> > I don't personally see the need for the distributedness when it comes to
> > Fedora packaging stuff.  But perhaps I'm missing something.
>
> I agree, the idea of using a distributed SCM based around
> changeset-versioning *for /cvs/dist* seems completely nuts.

I think you're missing something.  The goal isn't to just switch the
existing CVS repositories to something other than CVS.  It's to do that,
and combine them into a single repo.  /cvs/dist and /cvs/extras will be
gone.  You'll have a unified repo.

> For /cvs/dist I don't care about off-line access at all, ever.  CVS is
> off-line enough for me.  You can't do anything less off-line than what
> we have now without having a mirror of the tarball cache, and that
> probably isn't going to fit on your laptop, so stop flogging that horse.

You might not care about it, but others do.

> I also don't care ever about making local private branches.  Number of
> times I have wanted a private branch in 6 years of doing packaging work
> with CVS?  Zero.  So I don't want to have to be doing a two-command
> "commit locally, push remotely" dance.  That's just a waste of time and
> sanity.

Branching and merging with hg/git is trivial.  Branching in CVS and
merging it back to HEAD makes me want to break all my fingers and
destroy my computer.  I used to have your same view.  Then I tried stuff
and now I love it.

As for the two-command thing, just make an alias if it's a really big
deal.  "hg ci" -> hg commit; hg push.  Or something like that.

> I also never ever want to check out the whole /cvs/dist repository, nor
> be pulling changes for the whole repos to update the small parts I have
> checked out.  I only care about 20-30 packages in the whole tree.  But I
> do care about having those small parts of the tree checked out quickly
> and easily in multiple places.  That's really useful and I depend on
> that regularly.

You won't have to checkout the whole repository.  Every package is it's
own repo (at least with the hg test).  Only checkout the packages you
care about.

josh