db4 is now updated to 4.5.20 and compat-db to 4.3.29

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Mon Nov 13 08:37:46 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 09:39 +0100, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 08:17 +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for noticing this. I'll switch the license to BSDish in the next
> > > build.
> >
> > The BDB license is a copyleft-ish license, it's not really BSDish.
>
> The license for compat-db is defined as BSDish in the compat-db.spec, so
> I assume the same for the db4. The GPL as a license for db4 was probably
> set in the spec file by mistake at least since RHL-7.2 as far as I can
> see from CVS.
>
> I had a look into the LICENSE file for both compat-db and db4 and they
> both seem to have BSD styled licenses:
No, this license in not BSDish because it prevents you from closing the
source of your modification -> it is copyleft. Note there are 3 licenses
which apply together - 2 BSD licenses (California University and Harvard
University) and 1 Copyleft

Note this paragraph of the Oracle (previously Sleepycat) part of the
license:
 * 3. Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on
 *    how to obtain complete source code for the DB software and any
 *    accompanying software that uses the DB software.  The source code
 *    must either be included in the distribution or be available for no
 *    more than the cost of distribution plus a nominal fee, and must be
 *    freely redistributable under reasonable conditions.  For an
 *    executable file, complete source code means the source code for all
 *    modules it contains.  It does not include source code for modules or
 *    files that typically accompany the major components of the operating
 *    system on which the executable file runs.

This is compatible with GPL as it doesn't impose additional
restrictions.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

--
Tomas Mraz