dist-hg proof-of-concept ready for use

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Nov 14 04:58:51 UTC 2006

Ed Hill (ed at eh3.com) said:
> Can someone please explain what parts of CVS are so horribly broken that
> Fedora must abandon it right now?  Even with all the (very well known)
> CVS warts and shortcomings I still don't see why Fedora needs to be in
> a hurry to move away from it.

Basically, we want to enable anyone taking Fedora and doing what they
want - use it as a branching off point for their own ideas, their
own testing, etc. We want it to be dead simple for them to be able to
take what we have, add a patch of their own to their own personal branch,
build, test, and make available for people to test and use, all without
gating on a single maintainer.

The easiest way to start down this road is to use a distributed SCM
that allows for easy project cloning. (And this is why a CVS -> SVN
change is fundamentally uninteresting.)

> And shouldn't the contentious nature of the proposed CVS replacements
> be seen as a warning -- that perhaps things haven't really sorted
> themselves out in the SCM arena and it would be smart to wait for
> an FC8 or FC9 time-frame?

Actually, that's the plan as discussed at the summit today - we'd like
to create a SIG with a defined lifetime (i.e., not for F7) whose job
it is to help define and create this infrastructure.

Bill