dist-hg proof-of-concept ready for use

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Nov 15 05:07:26 UTC 2006

> On Tuesday 14 November 2006 01:17, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > Is the cost of disk a deciding factor? You were comparing fully packed
> > repositories, I hope?
>
> It's not a huge factor, but it is something to consider as we toss 5K packages
> on a server.  Yes, I'm using fully packed repos as the reference point.  Some
> package sets are actually larger than CVS, some are smaller.  Once I've done
> the full conversion (takes much longer than with hg) I can do an overall
> comparison.  The fact that I have to know about repacking, but not just
> repacking, repacking with special -a and -d flags just to get the damn thing
> to repack seems pretty ridiculous to me.  Why wouldn't a cvs import
> automatically repack and prune after the import?

As far as I can tell, the git-cvsimport script _does_ repack for itself
(with -d -a) after every 1024 commits it imports. This is the standard
Fedora Extras package (git-core-1.4.2.4-1.fc6), which has been installed
here since October 20th.

Perhaps it ought to repack when it's finished too. A simple enough RFE
-- but you'll probably want a cron job repacking all repos periodically
anyway.

> # Changed but not updated:
> #   (use git-update-index to mark for commit)

> At this point I went on a wild goose chase on what the "index" was and why
> wasn't it being updated.  It finally took reading every line of the commit
> man page to realize that unlike the first commit, I have to add a -a in order
> to commit any changes.

That or glance at the result of 'git-update-index --help' and observe
that it takes files as an argument.

Initial teething problems and misunderstandings are not criteria on
which to base a decision like this. If we _are_ still at that stage of
the investigation, then we should definitely stick with CVS for now.

> > Please, be specific.
>
> Ask Adam Jackson (ajax).

I'm asking you specifically, because you were the one who claimed it as
one of _your_ reasons.

--
dwmw2