dist-git status

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Nov 15 14:52:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 03:48:21PM +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:24:10 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > I've finally been able to convert all extras package modules/branches
> > (from FC3 and up) to git, much in the same layout as dist-hg (each
> > release "branch" being its own standalone repo (complete with
> > inherited history from devel/ branch at split time))
>
> Maybe I'm missing something important here, but what is the gain by having
> each branch in it's own repo? Doesn't that mean that I can not merge changes
> from one branch into another one without using external patch files?

Don't worry - distributed SCM's make this kind of operation incredibly
easy - they have to since this is the way you push changes around between
your local & upstream repo anyway. For mercurial, it'd be just a case
of running

    hg pull /path/to/repo/for/branch
    hg update -m

If sure git is similarly trivial too