dist-git status

Jim Meyering meyering at redhat.com
Wed Nov 15 16:04:41 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
>> What version of git tools are you using?  I ask because newer versions
>
> git-core-1.4.2.4-1.fc6

That may well be what is installed on the system you used, but from
the comment in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/VersionControl/dist-git,
(the "Gotchas" section says the "repo size is huge after conversion,
a git repack -a -d is needed"), it seems you must be using an older or
somehow-buggy version of the tool.

Please verify that you are using a version of git-cvsimport that
contains code like this:

                if (($commitcount & 1023) == 0) {
                        system("git repack -a -d");
                }

That code makes the script repack every 1024 commits.
So, upon completion, there should be no more than 1023
commits worth of not-packed files under .git/objects/[0-9a-f]?/.
All of the rest should be in .git/objects/pack/pack-* files.

The only other explanation I can come up with is that
some packages have consistently huge commits.  For such
packages, 1024 may be too large.