dist-git status

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Wed Nov 15 16:35:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:52:50 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/VersionControl/dist-hg and
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/VersionControl/dist-git for
> info.

You're using the cvsps-based git-cvsimport, (which isn't surprising
since that's what is in upstream git). You might want to investigate
using something that has been developed since such as Keith Packard's
parsecvs tool which he came up with for the X.org conversion from
cvs->git. His experience with the X.org repositories was that there
was no way for cvsps to get the right answer. His parsecvs tool also
has the advantage of working straight from the ,v files without the
awkward need fro both a repository and a checkout.

He announced and described the new tool here:

	http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/archives/git/0603/17950.html

though the URL for cloning in that message is now stale and the
correct URL is now:

	git://people.freedesktop.org/~keithp/repos/parsecvs

I _think_ parsecvs is expected to be faster during the conversion,
though it can use enormous amounts of memory, (which caused it to fail
when attempting a conversion of the mozilla CVS repository if I
remember correctly), though supposedly that is fixable. But with the
one-repository-per-package (and even per-branch(!)) approach here, I
don't think the memory concerns of parsecvs would be an issue.

Anyway, if this tool ends up being useful, I imagine it would be
trivial to make it create hg repositories as well, (it's the cvs
parsing that is hard---everything after that is really easy).

I'd actually be interested in attempting some conversions myself. If I
were to do that, what's the easiest way to get my hands on the CVS
repository? (And yes, I understand that this might be "hard" now and
is one of the things that would obviously be quite easy after the move
to a new system.)

-Carl