dist-hg proof-of-concept ready for use

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Nov 16 12:29:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 12:20 +0100, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> I don't have that much personal experience with git, but all the emails
> in this thread about trying different versions of utilities and so on
> seem to support the view that some problems still exist.

Not really. Jesse claimed that it didn't pack repositories and we
wondered what version he was running since the version packaged for
Fedora _definitely_ does. The current version has been shipping in
Extras since October, but I'm sure it's been packing repositories for
longer than that. I think that discussion probably accounts for most of
the questions about 'different versions' except for the ancient
historical anecdotes -- it was more of a 'wtf _are_ you running, if you
claim that it doesn't pack automatically'?

> It's nice when the upstream is responsive, has lots of developers and
> usability patches are accepted quickly - but its even better when the
> system Just Works, doesn't require the user to care about "packing" and
> doesn't _need_ the usability patches in the first place.  That's my
> experience with mercurial - a system that requires no maintenance.

Git also 'just works' and doesn't require the user to care about
packing. Any suggestion to the contrary was either out of date, user
error or or misinformation.

--
dwmw2