dist-hg proof-of-concept ready for use

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Nov 16 20:28:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:29:39 +0800 David Woodhouse
<dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 12:20 +0100, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> > It's nice when the upstream is responsive, has lots of developers
> > and usability patches are accepted quickly - but its even better
> > when the system Just Works, doesn't require the user to care about
> > "packing" and doesn't _need_ the usability patches in the first
> > place.  That's my experience with mercurial - a system that
> > requires no maintenance.
>
> Git also 'just works' and doesn't require the user to care about
> packing. Any suggestion to the contrary was either out of date, user
> error or or misinformation.

A git-newbie opinion:

I've used CVS for years, am comfortable with SVN (no surprises there,
its so similar), and toyed with some other SCMs.  I recently played
with git and:

 - converting an existing CVS repo to git was easy--worked the
     first time
 - creating a fresh git repo was trivial
 - the basic actions (status, diff, commit, ignore, etc.) that you
     spend 90+% of your time using were pretty easy to locate in the
     docs and then get the syntax right

For the basic stuff I think "git just works -- even for a beginner" is
a good assessment.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/