RFC: mhash · mcrypt · steghide · php-mhash

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Nov 25 13:28:33 UTC 2006

I've checked into FE CVS (only CVS!) an upgrade of mhash 0.9.2 to 0.9.7.1.
It has not been built yet, and probably won't be built.

Post 0.9.2 upstream started with major cleanup everywhere, introducing a
series of changes and breakage in the API (e.g. a new "mutils" API to be
shared with a future mcrypt release). Together with problem reports about
run-time breakage, anything >= 0.9.3 didn't look good.

These are the dependencies on mhash:

  $ repoquery --whatrequires libmhash.so.2
  aide-0:0.12-1.fc6.i386
  mcrypt-0:2.6.4-3.fc6.i386
  aide-0:0.12-2.fc6.1.i386
  php-mhash-0:5.1.6-1.fc6.i386
  steghide-0:0.5.1-2.fc6.i386
  mhash-devel-0:0.9.2-5.i386
  mhash-0:0.9.2-5.i386

Steghide breaks in one line (see attached patch - and I admit that a
C-style cast in C++ code is ugly). The other packages rebuild.

However, the mhash maintainers include dozens of GNU Autoheader generated
definitions in their public API, which conflict with any other program,
which also uses standard autoheaders. In the rpm, I've patched out some of
them just for testing, but frankly, since many other HAVE_FOO definitions
are included, too, I would prefer not to do this upgrade as it will likely
end in neverending trouble and maintenance requirements.