License question - SGI FSL B

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Mon Nov 27 19:38:11 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede wrote:

> glew is in Debian main, I didn't take a closer look if they stripped
> parts or something like that, but except for that, if its free enough
> for Debian its free enough for FE.

I remember you saying it was in debian, but I read something in the
debian copyright file which said that

"Parts of the public interface are *generated* from components
distributed by Silicon Graphics, Inc. available under the conditions
quoted below.  None of these components are included in the source
package and are available only thru CVS."

I queried one of the authors, he couldn't confirm that but he did say
that the sgi FSL must be included in the distribution because glew.h for
example, is derived from gl.h and glext.h. For clarification purposes,
I'm using the source tarball and not an archived created from CVS.

> Know I now my last legalish mail to
> this list about lbreakout shows that Debian gets legalise wrong
> sometimes too, that was a trademark issue and AFAIK Debian is much more
> strict with regards to the actual sourcecode licenses.

I might be being unnessarily cautious but it's really down to confusion.
I will submit it for review soon, unless there's any objections.

--
Ian Chapman.