libtermcap => libncurses

Wart wart at kobold.org
Thu Nov 30 16:15:42 UTC 2006

Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is the list of packages that are now depending on
> libtermcap.so.2. These packages need to be rebuilt against libncurses,
> as we would like to have termcap and libtermcap dropped since FC7.
>
> Please change BuildRequires to ncurses-devel and link with -lncurses
> instead of -ltermcap. If the package needs to include termcap.h, the
> file is in /usr/include/ncurses.
>
> Drop me an email if you don't have time to do this, and I will take
> care of your packages.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Core packages:
>
> amanda
> amanda-client
> amanda-server
> bash
> bc
> festival
> gnupg
> gnuplot
> gnutls-utils
> guile
> lv
> pilot-link
> postgresql
> postgresql-contrib
> postgresql-devel
> postgresql-server
> procinfo
> python
> quagga
> ruby-libs
> tcsh
> util-linux
> xfsprogs
> zsh

This list is missing 'readline-devel'.  The base 'readline' package does
not require libtermcap, but if you look at the spec file, you'll see
that 'readline-devel' Requires: libtermcap-devel.  This means that any
package that has a BR: readline-devel likely gets linked with and ends
up with an implicit Requires: on libtermcap...

> Extras:
>
> abiword
> clips
> clisp
> cyphesis
[...]

...including cyphesis.  Once readline is fixed, then many of these
packages probably just need a rebuild to remove the libtermcap dependency.

--Wart