another semi-mass-rebuild (Was: Re: rebuilt for unwind info generation, broken in gcc-4.1.1-21)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Oct 2 20:02:31 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis schrieb:
> Guys watching the rawhide report will notice that there are a lot of
> packages listed today that have a Changelog entry which lists
>
> [...]
> - rebuilt for unwind info generation, broken in gcc-4.1.1-21
> [...]
>
> We probably need to rebuild some packages in Extras, too. FESCo
> currently discusses when/how to do that.
>
> Some background: It looks like gcc 4.1.1-21 introduced a bug that wasn't
> fixed until gcc 4.1.1-26, so there's a window from Sept. 8 until Sept.
> 26 within which any binary package  would have been built with the bad
> compiler.

Some additional details jeremy provided:

Essentially, the result is that backtraces in gdb won't (necessarily)
work and that any app which calls backtrace() is likely to segfault.
There are a few other potential ways that things can go wrong, but
suffice to say that, yes, binary packages built in the window will need
to be rebuilt :-/

> So only those packages build in the above timeframe need another rebuild
> in devel. It currently looks like we'll use a script that increases
> release in CVS, commits the changes and queues the build for all of
> those. But feel free to build your packages ahead of time (e.g. now)
> yourself to save the script and FESCo some work. tia!
>
> More details to follow.

Well, here they are. The current plan is:

- do another mass rebuild for all those packages that might be affected.
That means: all arch packages that were build from Sept. 8 until Sept.
26 -/+ some hours for safety
- let a script (
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-July/msg00777.html
?) increase release, commit, tag and queue the build of all effected
packages. Someone from FESCo (probably c4chris) will handle that.
- we start on Wednesdays evening (CEST)
- we hereby encourage maintainers to queue the rebuilds of their stuff
of their own before Wednesdays evening

Sorry for the trouble.

CU
thl