Agressive FUD by Fedora contributor

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Oct 16 09:30:12 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 11:01 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> No, I didn't. If you check the mentioned thread it was about whether
> that makes sense at all. There was a very prominent objection on this
> where it was clearly stated that no packages will get altered, so why
> bother creating bugzilla tickets that would be closed as WONTFIX? That
> would only create unnecessary conflict situations.

I've just looked at the archives and I don't see a clear statement that
no packages will be altered. Even if I did see one (and admittedly I
didn't look at _every_ mail in the January archive) I wouldn't have
believed it. There is nobody who could say with a thing with authority,
since individual package maintainers will generally make up their own
minds.

Warren's response was as follows:
"Core and Extras are under no obligation to change anything to cater to
any 3rd party, although the individual package maintainers have the
option of doing so if it is reasonable. Regular changes in Core and
Extras are possible if they are general bug fixes."
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2006-January/msg00019.html)

Please, file bugs against specific packages if there are ways that they
could be improved, with a coherent explanation.

I have to admit that I'm not entirely sure precisely what these
'versioned Obsoletes' are intended to fix, or how.

--
dwmw2