Co-maintainers to assist upstreams with their packages in Extras

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Oct 16 20:16:51 UTC 2006

PD> In any case there is one maintainer who has the final word, isn't
PD> it?

Only by agreement, though.  There is no infrastructure in place to
enforce anything like this.

Which is the entirety of my original point: let the arrangements
surrounding each package be determined by those involved in the
maintenance of that package.  You originally said that you did not
think upstream developers should be allowed to be "primary
maintainers".  Going back to that first reply:

-----
PD> After some thinking and looking at some packages, I came to the
PD> conclusion that having upstream as primary maintainer in fedora
PD> should be avoided if possible.
-----

I object to this as a general rule.  Not only is there no way to
enforce this except by agreement, but it is simply not possible to
reasonably make that generalization and I also find it to take a
rather dim view of the potentially enormous contributions which could
be made by upstream developers if we could only get them interested.
Let the maintenance of individual packages be dictated by the
maintainers of those packages in the way that best suits the
situation.

So, is there anyone interested in co-maintaining libssa, or one of the
other packages from upstream developers awaiting sponsorship?  (I
think Kevin/nirik has a list of those somewhere; perhaps he'd be so
kind as to post it.)

 - J<