List of unowned directories

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Oct 16 23:35:42 UTC 2006

GM> What about putting this on fedoraproject.org?

I went ahead and checked it into the status-report-scripts module;
hopefully Christian doesn't mind.

The thing lacks documentation; what I did to generate that report was
to grab filelists.xml.gz from Core and Extras (renaming the extras file
to filelists-extras.xml.gz), decompressing them, and running:

./dircheck -v --unowned --check filelists.xml:core --check filelists-extras.xml:extras

I'll hopefully add automatic decompression, the ability to check RPMs
as well as repodata, and the ability to load in repodata without
complaining about it (so that you can check a single package without
having to deal with all of the built-in errors).

Note also that unowned directories aren't always simple to deal with.
If they're occupied by files from just one package then it's trivial,
but if multiple packages put things there (like /etc/pcmcia) then you
have to look at dependencies or perhaps punt and put the thing in the
filesystem package.

 - J<