yum RFE

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 16:29:31 UTC 2006

On 10/18/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 October 2006 12:14, Christopher Stone wrote:
> > The reason it was closed was because Seth totally misunderstood what
> > the RFE was trying to accomplish. Set thought that we were trying to
> > make it impossible or extremely difficult for 3rd parth repos. to
> > override base packages when the opposite is true. We want to make it
> > easy for them to do this, but we want the user to have to take an
> > extra step in order to enable them to do this. And this extra step
> > should warn the user about the consequences of enabling this.
> >
> > We are *trying* to protect unknowning and unsuspecting users here.
>
> Unknowing and unsuspecting users will become frightening and confused when the
> repo they added doesn't work like the rest of the repos they have.

I think this is better than some poor user who is forced to remove all
packages from a certain repository by hand after their system becomes
messed up.

There was a poor unfortunate user on #fedora just yesterday who ran
into this problem and was forced to uninstall all 3rd party repo
packages which due to dependencies resulted in uninstalling and
reinstalling dozens of packages.  This is *much* more freightening and
confusing to unsuspecting users if you ask me.