yum RFE

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Oct 18 19:31:14 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 18 October 2006 14:41, Christopher Stone wrote:
> Actually I believe the protectbase plugin does exactly this.  All that
> needs to be done is to enable this plugin by default and issue a
> warning:
>
> "The operation you're about to perform will replace a core package. This
> could make it more difficult to maintain your system. If you're *sure*
> you want to do this, issue the command yum remove yum-protectbase"

So protectbase will prevent the core package from being replaced.  Now what
happens with the package you REALLY want from 3rd party repo has a requires
on a replaced core package version that is higher than what is in Core?  Now
you've got broken deps, and the user is going to complain to either us or to
the 3rd party repo.  Enough of these, and the 3rd party repo is going to
craft some way to disable this automatically to avoid the bug reports of HIS
repo being broken.  He'll service HIS users.  This is an arms race that I'd
rather not see us get into.  The VERY most I'd accept is a warning, either a
popup or a logged message, that DOES NOT stop the transaction, or even slow
it down.  Just a warning.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora