yum RFE

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 23:54:05 UTC 2006

On 10/18/06, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
> "Package [foo] from 'unimploded-wombats-repository' wishes to replace glibc
>  in your base system. This may lead to future update or incompatibility
>  problems. Are you sure Y/N"

Can't we go further and have a tool that proactively looks at
cross-repo conflicts when a new repo is enabled so users can get a
summary of exactly those packages which may be replaced before the
actual package management action takes place? I am weary of any dialog
that happens during an actual package management operation. If a user
want to install package foo and gets this.. are they really going to
feel compelled to stop and think about it or are they going to just
going to treat it like a pointless eula-like nag dialog and click
through?  I'd rather see this sort of information stuff happen at repo
enabling before any user directed package management action is
attempted.

Do you plan to treat the fedora-core-updates and
fedora-core-updates-testing fedora-core-development repos in the same
way as 3rd party repos with this nag dialog? And if you have a
mechanism to suppress this dialog for these fedora branded repos which
replace packages from fedora-core-base, isn't that mechanism easily
subverted by any 3rd party who wishes to turn that dialog off for
their repo?

-jef