yum RFE

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Oct 19 08:43:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 03:54:05PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Can't we go further and have a tool that proactively looks at
> cross-repo conflicts when a new repo is enabled so users can get a

Comflicts arise at resolution time not when repositories are active. They
also only affect small bits of repository

> summary of exactly those packages which may be replaced before the
> actual package management action takes place? I am weary of any dialog
> that happens during an actual package management operation. If a user

You mean like "do you want to trust this key" ?

Might be a case for the repository one to have a "Don't bug me about
this rep again" too.

> Do you plan to treat the fedora-core-updates and
> fedora-core-updates-testing fedora-core-development repos in the same
> way as 3rd party repos with this nag dialog? And if you have a
> mechanism to suppress this dialog for these fedora branded repos which
> replace packages from fedora-core-base, isn't that mechanism easily
> subverted by any 3rd party who wishes to turn that dialog off for
> their repo?

The goal is to help the user not enforce policy. If a repository wishes
to turn it off then it can do so, just like it can now. You can't stop
that and I don't see why you would. At the point a repo systematically
disables a warning and then gets users into trouble social pressure
will rapidly resolve it