FE non free repo

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Oct 30 19:04:14 UTC 2006

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Add a second repository, managed under the umbrella of FESCo, which
> can hold packages that violate the basic tenets of the Fedora project
> in some way (specifically those prohibiding sale for profit) but which
> still permit us the freedoms of redistribution, reuse of source,
> modification, and others necessary for the reasonable maintanence of
> the project.

Unfortunately Ralf doesn't take this offer by you seriously, but I think
its a great idea and I couldn't have worded it better myself.

There is quite a bit of software out there which gives one the all
important rights to look under the hood, to also muck under the hood
(not only look but also touch!) and even the right to redistribute the
result as long as its not for a profit.

To me such software is for most everyday uses 99% as free as truely free
software and I think such a repo would be a welcome add-on to the Fedora
"space".

I do think btw this repo shouldn't use the Fedora name, I would like it
to use the Fedora infrastructure, and maybe even be added to
Fedora-release (disabled by default), but it doesn't deserve to use the
Fedora name :)

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

Jason, feel free to take this discussion to a more public list, but I
didn't want to send the above quote of you to a public list out of context.