Free Software audit update

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Sep 5 04:44:32 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 September 2006 11:29 pm, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 13:35 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > Michael J. Knox wrote:
> > >
> > > No.. Petusus did no such thing. The license of OpenMotif is the
> > > problem. OpenMotif is not compatible with Fedora's license guidelines.
> > > Its grossly unfair to "point the finger" at a Fedora contributor for
> > > that.
>
> I could not disagree more, but I am not going to reiterate over this on
> this list again.
Ralf  you could blame Spot  for doing the audit that turned up the need to
remove OpenMotif (Spot Thank you very much for doing the audit).  you could
blame the FPB  for asking him to do the audit.  you could blame  lots of
people,  hell i probably caused you pain on  this.  but really  it was not
Petusus  that got  the ball rolling  he  just kicked the ball into the net to
get the goal  so we all win the game :D

> > There was no legal reason it couldn't be shipped of course, but
> > I never liked the fact it was part of the OS as it isn't really
> > true "free software" IMHO.
>
> This is the actual point: OpenMotif doesn't fit into the "definition of
> OSS" as RH dictated it to Fedora.
the definition for OSS has been taken from OSI and FSF  not RH.  If  you feel
strongly enugh  get the OpenMotif License changed or get one of those bodies
to say it is Open Source.

> Face it - RH is not alone on this planet, their "religion" is not the
> only "belief" and you can't force everybody to YOUR belief.
>
> > Either way though, I'm glad to _finally_ see Motif getting a fork
> > stuck in it, and I hope that Xaw and Xt follow suit in the future
> > just as a great symbolic gesture.  ;o)

I personally am glad to see a truly OSS product going in

> <Sigh/> Why can't you @redhat.com-guys stop agitating against what
> doesn't fit into your "small-town world" and let the rest of the world
> live in peace?
Ralf  Mike is no longer a Red Hate employee. so  this is grossly unfair.

--
Dennis Gilmore, RHCE
Proud Australian