devel packages with only one .pc file

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Sep 7 08:36:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 10:01 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> I think #1 is the best for clarity.  But I would also be willing to see
> the rule revised to something like #3 or #4 because I don't think most
> mono packages are going to have -devel files other than the pkgconfig
> file  (alexl, please correct me if you see this differently.)  Compared
> against each other, I think #3's major drawback is psychological: mono
> packagers may be hesitant to create -devel subpackages because the
> change will cascade to other packages, causing more work.  #4's main
> drawback is its direct conflict with the guidelines for C pkgconfig
> files.

I'm ok with rule #1 in most cases, the other ones just seem kludgy. And
i actually agree with the risk that other "devel" style files might be
added to the package.

However, there is one exception that i still would like to have, and
that is the case of development packages. I like to avoid
mono-nunit-devel and gtk-sharp2-gapi-devel, because i think they are
actually harmful. Developers will not expect that you get a full working
gapi enought to satisfy the buildrequirements of a module if you install
the gtk-sharp2-gapi, but configure will fail to find it because you
didn't install gtk-sharp2-gapi-devel. So, I'd like to see the rule be:

Any .pc files must be in a -devel subpackage, unless the package itself
is a development tool not installed in a user runtime. If the package
has a -devel subpackage for other reasons the place for the pc file is
up to the package owner (as it generaly depends on the usecase for the
pc file).

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a suave misogynist vagrant with a mysterious suitcase handcuffed to his
arm. She's a brilliant hypochondriac doctor who don't take no shit from
nobody. They fight crime!