.so files in main package for python packages

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Sep 10 10:29:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 02:41:34AM -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:
> Upstream says there is a packaging error in one of my packages,
> pypoker-eval-devel.
>
> Upstream claims that the .so file should not be in the devel package
> but should be in the main package.
>
> I told upstream about our .so rule saying .so files should be in
> -devel, but he said this is not the case for python packages, and
> promptly demonstrated that the libxml2-python package is similar and
> that this package puts the .so files in the main pacakge on Fedora as
> well.

I think that upstream is right in that case. The rule should be that
.so file in %_libdir (or in directory searched for by the linker)
should be in -devel packages. The .so that are not in these dirs are
not used when linking, but are there to be dlopened, so should, in the
general case be in the main package.

> Upstream informs me that my package will break unless I put the .so
> file in the main package.

Indeed, since the file is certainly delopened.

--
Pat