Please add autoconf and automake to the buildroot

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Fri Sep 22 19:01:06 UTC 2006

Adam Jackson wrote:
> Steve Dickson wrote:
>> Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>>> the guidelines are pretty clear on what is and is not included by
>>> default.  If you call autoconf or outomake  then you need to BR them
>>> its fairly simple.   The problem should have shown up in your local
>>> mock build before you committed the build.
>> Thats the point... nothing error-ed out because there was an
>> outdated makefile that already existed and so it was used...
>> Again, this is an *undetectable* situation that will cause
>> rpm corruption but is easily fixed by simply adding autoconf
>> and automake to the buildroot..
>
> You patched Makefile.am, but didn't re-run automake?  Your packaging
> already had a bug then.
I agree with both you and Jessie in the fact that it was a bug
in my spec file, but that not the point...

This point is there is a huge hole in the build process that
will silently and cleanly produce a severely corrupted rpm
that can have a ripple effect on the entire system... And
there is an incredibly easy way to close that hole by simply
adding two very small but highly used packages... I really
don't seen the problem with this...

steved.