Please add autoconf and automake to the buildroot

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Sep 22 19:18:09 UTC 2006

On Friday 22 September 2006 15:01, Steve Dickson wrote:
> This point is there is a huge hole in the build process that
> will silently and cleanly produce a severely corrupted rpm
> that can have a ripple effect on the entire system... And
> there is an incredibly easy way to close that hole by simply
> adding two very small but highly used packages... I really
> don't seen the problem with this...

The same hyperbole can be said of any package that doesn't list a
BuildRequires it needs.  It will silently build and have missing
functionality.  Without diligent checking of the results we would miss this.
Should we then just do everything installs into the buildroots so that we
won't miss any functionality?  No, we properly list the BuildRequires so that
we have the appropriate functionality we seek.  The answer is not to continue
fattening the buildroots and making assumptions, the answer is to use correct
packaging, correct post build QA.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora