Please add autoconf and automake to the buildroot

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 19:38:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 15:01 -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:

> Adam Jackson wrote:
> > Steve Dickson wrote:
> >> Thats the point... nothing error-ed out because there was an
> >> outdated makefile that already existed and so it was used...
> >> Again, this is an *undetectable* situation that will cause
> >> rpm corruption but is easily fixed by simply adding autoconf
> >> and automake to the buildroot..
> >
> > You patched Makefile.am, but didn't re-run automake?  Your packaging
> > already had a bug then.
> I agree with both you and Jessie in the fact that it was a bug
> in my spec file, but that not the point...
>
> This point is there is a huge hole in the build process that
> will silently and cleanly produce a severely corrupted rpm
> that can have a ripple effect on the entire system... And
> there is an incredibly easy way to close that hole by simply
> adding two very small but highly used packages... I really
> don't seen the problem with this...

AFAIK they are very rarely used.  One of autoconf's design goals is to
not be needed from the dist tarball.  I don't think automake makes this
same guarantee but it makes an attempt.

The buggy package was created by the bug in your spec and the question
is whether there's any difference between this case and any other
missing optional BuildRequire.

-Toshio