Please add autoconf and automake to the buildroot

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Sep 22 19:43:47 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:36:02PM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:

> Patching the autotool generated files is not a good idea imho...
> You basically saying don't use *any* of the autoconf tools and just
> hack things to work...

Not necessarily, the autotools have allready allready been used and
the configure and Makefile.in should allready be in a good portability
state.

> I've been down that path and I have found
> those hack become very unmaintainable in a very short time...
> It it much much easy to simple patch the autoconf files and
> rerun the tools..

It may be true when the configure and Makefile.in files have been
generated with the same or similar autotool versions, but when it
is not the case it is really asking for trouble.

--
Pat