Please add autoconf and automake to the buildroot

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Sep 22 20:32:04 UTC 2006

On Friday 22 September 2006 15:53, Steve Dickson wrote:
> Again I totally agree with you... but the question at what price?
> Is worth keep an buildroot the so small that it has the potential of
> silently creating corrupt rpms? Especially with the fix being as simple
> as adding two of the most common package used to do package
> configuration? I think the price of not added those two package
> much much more expensive than the disk space they will use...

I don't accept your claim that these are the most common used packages to
build our rpms.  Sure they're used upstream and such, but not in our rpm
build process.  They should be viewed just like any other build requirement
and listed as such.  For you its two auto* packages.  To somebody else, it's
just pkgconfig, to yet another person its just intltool and gettext, so on
and so forth.  The line has to be drawn somewhere and it has been drawn.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora