Please add autoconf and automake to the buildroot

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 15:28:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 10:21 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 18:02 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > If you think that autoconf and automake should require an extra level of
> > error checking, you might also consider writing a test for rpmlint that
> > checks patches for changes to Makefile.am, configure.ac, etc, and if it
> > finds some, makes sure that the spec file calls autoconf, automake, or
> > autoreconf.  This can benefit people who are not using our particular
> > buildsystem as well.
>
> I think this would lead to false positives. If I find I have to patch
> autotools input files, I also try to make the corresponding patch in the
> output files. Sometimes this is a trivial edit and other times it
> involves re-running the autotools and creating a patch from the original
> files to the newly-generated ones. Either way, there is no need to run
> the autotools when the package is built on the buildsystem. I believe
> this to be good practice and thus a naive rpmlint check for edits to
> autotools input files wouldn't be that good a test.

Yes.  There would be false positives.  But rpmlint generates other false
positives as well....  It points out possible packaging errors rather
than things that are 100% reliably wrong.  It is up to the person
looking at the output to understand what it is complaining about and
figure out if there's a genuine error that needs to be addressed.

OTOH, I don't have time to write this check so if SteveD doesn't do
this, we'll all have to continue to remember to do this check
manually :-)

-Toshio