xemacs and xemacs-sumo changes for FE6 (and some general elisp packaging stuff)

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Tue Sep 5 01:41:47 UTC 2006

Ville Skyttä wrote:
> The most significant change for users and packagers is that the main
> xemacs package will no longer pull in all the xemacs lisp packages
> formerly in Sumos.  Users who upgrade will get the same functionality,
> but ones who install from scratch, will need to install xemacs-packages
> in addition to xemacs to get the same lisp bundle as was earlier pulled
> in by just xemacs.  But packagers should be aware of the changes, too.

OK.  Sounds find to me - probably most users don't need every package in
xemacs-sumo anyway.
> - Would it be better to fold all the sumo/lisp package things back to
> the main xemacs source rpm?  This would allow making some things a fair
> bit simpler, and would also make it possible to drop xemacs-nox
> altogether; as long as emacs-nox exists, I'm not sure if anyone really
> needs it.  The drawbacks of the bundling would be kind of gratuitously
> arch-specific lisp subpackages (OTOH in rpm arch only, the content would
> continue to be arch independent) and that updates for the whole shebang
> would need to be shipped all at once.

IMHO keeping xemacs-packages separate is better and more conducive to
pushing updates since they have tended to be released more often than
xemacs.  Personally I like to minimize downloading bits that are
essentially unchanged from what is already installed.

Jens