xemacs and xemacs-sumo changes for FE6 (and some general elisp packaging stuff)

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 23:05:23 UTC 2006

On 04/09/06, Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi> wrote:
> First, one plan is to split xemacs-sumo to two.  The smaller bit,
> xemacs-packages-base, will contain packages that upstream considers the
> minimal set: xemacs-base, efs, and mule-base.  This will be compiled
> with xemacs-nox, and will be enough for people who choose to manage rest
> of the upstream lisp packages using XEmacs's built in tools instead of
> installing them from rpms.  The second part, xemacs-packages, will
> contain practically rest of the current sumo and it will be compiled
> with the main X-enabled xemacs.  These packages will not be called
> "sumo" because they no longer quite represent what upstream calls sumo
> either.  Backwards compat Provides/Obsoletes will be there, naturally.

I think these packages would be much more sensibly named something
like xemacs-sumo-base and xemacs-sumo-extras or somesuch - both should
have sumo in the name. A package called xemacs-packages to Joe User
might imply "install all xemacs packages that are available" i.e. some
sort of meta package. sumo should definately be in the name.

> Second part of the above plan is that the main xemacs package will no
> longer have a dependency to xemacs-packages (ex-sumo, due to the build
> dep loop above); it will have a dependency on xemacs-packages-base only.

Why is even this dependency necessary? Does upstream xemacs really
require xemacs-sumo to build? If so, upstream should fix that, the
xemacs tarball should build without the presence of xemacs-sumo.

> So this is what it would look like (versions dropped for brevity):
>
> xemacs: dep on xemacs-common, xemacs-packages-base, provides xemacs(bin)
> xemacs-nox: depends on xemacs-common, provides xemacs(bin)
> xemacs-common: no xemacs* deps
> xemacs-packages-base: depends on xemacs-common
> xemacs-packages: depends on xemacs-packages-base

To repeat - there is nothing in these package names that tells the
user that sumo is installed.

Also, please strip out the source .el files into separate packages, as
is done with emacs.

Best wishes,
Jonathan