How to load a kernel module automatically?

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 11:24:46 UTC 2007

Ville Skyttä napisał(a):

> When taking everything that needs to be taken into account, the scriptlets get
> more than a little hairy.  My previous mail scratches the surface of
> packaging related problems with it.  Further things to consider: Can you be
> sure that removing a module won't screw the runtime system's state some way
> (for example, for practical purposes, some hardware which may be essential to
> the user (which you as the packager can't know) can disappear on the fly,
> just like that)?  And what do you do if the module removal fails on package
> upgrades?  What if it fails on package erase time?

Removal of module should not render the system unusable, because you can
always log-in with password if the reader does not work for one reason o
another. Getting back to scriptlets: you mean that I should add depmod
-a on %post and depmod -e on %preun? I would like the upgrade to be as
painless for users as possible, and as there is no easy way to give them
a message like "add uinput to modprobe.conf", they could be a bit
surprised when swiping will cease to work for them.