Fedora Account System Changes

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:14:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 12:08 +0200, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> > 1) When you are approved for cvsextras, you are automatically approved
> > for fedorabugs.  This means that once you have the ability to commit to
> > Fedora CVS you gain the ability to make changes to bug reports in
> > bugzilla.  This is the policy we've had for quite a long time but
> > formerly it required users to request membership in the second group and
> > find someone to add them.  Note that we haven't yet made a pass through
> > cvsextras to add everyone there to fedorabugs so if you don't have
> > fedorabugs but do have commit access to the repository, go ahead and
> > request membership as you would have in the past.
>
> Hmm. What's cvsextras? Is there a cvscore?

This is a bit confusing.  At the moment cvsextras gives access to the
externally available cvs repository.  The cvs repository for Core is
internal to Red Hat and doesn't have an equivalent "cvscore" group in
the Fedora Account System.

I believe that warren is planning to rename the cvsextras group to
"packagers" or another name which can apply to everyone in the new
merged repository world.

> > 2) Since Red Hat legal has decided that Red Hat employees have the
> > equivalent of signing the CLA because of the terms of their employment,
> > we needed to restructure the cla_done group to show whether a person has
> > passed the CLA barrier by signing the Fedora Individual Contributor
> > License Agreement (and thus is a member of cla_done until/unless they
> > revoke it) or by being employed by a company that's signed a corporate
> > CLA (in which case cla_done would be dropped when the person is no
> > longer an employee.)  We implemented this by creating new groups for
> > each class of CLA.  People who've signed the Fedora CLA are now members
> > of cla_fedora.  Employees of Red Hat are in cla_redhat.  Dell employees
> > (which has a similar corporate CLA to cover employees contributing to
> > Fedora) are covered by cla_dell.  Membership in any of these groups
> > automatically grants cla_done so existing code that looks at whether
> > someone is in cla_done will continue to function.
>
> I can now add myself to cla_redhat, so thanks.
>
> However, I need to add myself to cla_done to add to any groups like
> cvsextras, etc.

No one should be added directly to cla_done anymore.  cla_done will be
automatically added when you are approved for one of the other cla_*
groups.  For people going through the signing of the Fedora Individual
CLA, you are added to both cla_fedora and cla_done when the signed cla
is processed by the automated system.   For people signing up through
cla_redhat, the steps are to
1) Add yourself to cla_redhat.
2) The administrator of cla_redhat approves you
3) This approval automatically adds you to cla_done as well.

(Looking at the account system, it looks like your cla_redhat request
was approved and you are now a member of both cla_redhat and cla_done).

> I'm a bit confused about the account edit page on fedoraprojects.org.
>
> In general, I'm not sure what groups I'm supposed to "add," or why I'm
> supposed to add them. I don't see a master list of possible groups
> anywhere, or a way to get a sponsor if I need one. (What's this? Who
> approves stuff?)
>
> What's the master list of groups that a new account owner should have if
>   they were a maintainer of a core package in the old fedora system?

cla_fedora OR cla_redhat OR cla_dell (which grants cla_done)

cvsextras (will be renamed shortly)

fedorabugs (should be autoadded by joining cvsextras.  In the past, Red
Hat employees haven't needed to join fedorabugs because they already had
equivalent permissions on bugzilla.  I don't think that's changing but I
could be wrong.)

The account system *is* very confusing at the moment.  We have two
projects going on to try to fix that:

1) Karsten Wade, Warren Togami, and Mairin Duffy are spearheading
documentation changes that will better explain what a new account owner
needs to do to become involved with a specific group.  For a package
maintainer, there will be a page which clearly documents what groups you
need to sign up for in order to work on your packages.

2) Mike Mcgrath is working on rewriting the UI for the account system to
be more intuitive, better organized, and altogether make it easier to
navigate the account system and figure out what groups are available and
how to become a part of them.

-Toshio