Packages with "fc6" name in Fedora 7

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 8 14:49:21 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:

> So you have roughly 1294 packages in the Extras devel repo that carry
> the .fc6 disttag, and 54 in rawhide.  You're proposing that all of these
> be rebuilt?

Yes.  Afaik, we have rebuilt every package on previous releases for
other reasons. There isn't a history of releases with packages having
older versions. The advantages just don't seem worth the potential for
confusion and pain debugging problems.

> How would you forsee this happening?  Each maintainer rebuilds their
> package, or a small group does all of them, or?

I would like to avoid this process stretching out for a long time.
Rebuilding can cause issues due to changes elsewhere. So let's do it as
early as we can. This is what I would suggest:

  * Send a announcement here, fedora-devel list asap that we are
rebuilding every packages along with an explanation why.

  * Give the package maintainers a week to do it themselves or agree to
let a very small team (2 or 3 members) do it for them. Release
engineering team seems appropriate for the task.

* Rebuilt all the packages that have not been done by the maintainers
after a week.

Rahul