Packages with "fc6" name in Fedora 7

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Apr 8 17:49:11 UTC 2007

Till Maas schrieb:
> On So April 8 2007, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> My take: I'm not sure if that's really worth the trouble and we are
>> quite late in the game for Fedora 7. So maybe we should just ignore this
>> for Fedora 7 and find a better solution for F8 and later.
> We can do it for FC8 without at as much traffic as now, given yum-presto is
> then widely used.

My biggest concern ATM (e.g. for doing it for F7) is not the traffic,
it's the timing, as doing the rebuild of all those packages before
F7-test4 happens will be hard.

The best thing for such a rebuild (and remove dists in packages where
it's not a big help) would be to do it when a mass-rebuild happens in
any case. Not sure if we'll have one for F8, as that's still far away.

> Also I doubt, that there will be much confusion, as there
> are already packages without a disttag and I do not see much confusion about
> it. Also the fedora-release-notes packages mentions Fedora 5.92 in its
> summary and description and nobody seems to be confused.

I suspect beta testers don't care about such details, but end users might.

But yeah, if we chose to not care about packages with "fc6" in the name
of F7 or F8 repos, well, then we don't need to do anything and continue
as in the past. That FESCo decision afaics.

CU
thl