Packages with "fc6" name in Fedora 7

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 14:50:25 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 10:19, Tomas Janousek wrote:
> > As a paying RHEL customer, this kind of upsets me.  They can't take
> > the time to ensure file-names are right on their flagship product.  I
>
> The file names ARE right.

I would disagree. If I were a paying customer, I would expect all package
names to match. If nothing else, it makes you feel like the toolchain that is
in RHEL actually did something with the package in case you have to rebuild
it yourself at some point. It also makes you feel that somebody actually
spent a couple of minutes with it.

I can also envision somebody asking an admin why they put FC6 files on their
installation and how that affects support. Even though there is a KB article,
they still have go look for it and have to prove it to other people. That is
really a needless exercise.

Same thing with Fedora. I can envision people thinking that there is a failed
upgrade somehow that left FC6 files after the install. Again, a needless
exercise.

-Steve