[GuidelinesChange] UTF8 filenames

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Apr 11 06:14:14 UTC 2007

Le mardi 10 avril 2007 à 17:07 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :
> On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 00:37 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> > Every filename must be encoded as UTF-8. Filenames using characters
> > outside the range 0000–007F as defined in page 2 of
> > http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0000.pdf may need conversion.
>
> Because I think more people will understand what ASCII means than
> U0000.pdf?

Page 2 of the linked pdf is a glyph chart which in my experience people
understand way more easily than ASCII (even with added textual
explanations)

> Encoding
> Unless you need to use characters outside the
> [:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII: ASCII repertoire]

the wikipedia article is too long and dense, people will zap it

>  (the 128
> characters that consist of letters, numbers and punctuation used in
> English),

This may seem clear to you because you know what it means, but that's
not so for the average non-english-speaking packager. They'll assume the
128 characters include latin variants (or ©), and forget about control
codes and punctuation.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot