[GuidelinesChange] UTF8 filenames

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Apr 11 07:48:57 UTC 2007

Le Mer 11 avril 2007 08:55, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :
> On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 08:14 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>> > Because I think more people will understand what ASCII means than
>> > U0000.pdf?
>>
>> Page 2 of the linked pdf is a glyph chart which in my experience people
>> understand way more easily than ASCII (even with added textual
>> explanations)
>
>> the wikipedia article is too long and dense, people will zap it
>>
> Then we link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ASCII_full.svg

This will be fine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII#ASCII_printable_characters
may work too (although the text before the table may be confusing)

> We could define it as a negative "(ASCII does not include accented
> letters or special symbols like ©)".

Been there, tried that, anything but a chart or an image like the one you
proposed is not a sufficient cluestick

> Basically, I think a good portion of anglo-centric packagers won't know
> what the relationship is between ASCII and UTF-8.

Sure. But a good portion of anglo-centric packagers won't know what ASCII
is either. Try to poll people someday you'll be surprised.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot