FYI - cvs-import.sh changes

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Apr 11 09:40:31 UTC 2007

Christian Iseli wrote :

> It was noticed that the cvs-import script gets used by many folks, not
> only for actually importing a new package into CVS, but also for
> importing new versions of an existing package.
>
> This latter usage led to a few cases where changes made in CVS got
> silently lost when the updated package was imported.
>
> After some discussions (like disallowing the use of cvs-import
> for anything else than initial import) it was decided to modify the
> script to at least show a diff of what's currently in CVS with what's
> going to be imported (so that there is a chance the maintainer will
> notice changes about to be undone), and will ask the maintainer to
> enter a commit message.
>
> Thanks to Jens Petersen for implementing the changes.

This is definitely a good thing.

FWIW, I'm not even using that script anymore : Now that the CVS
branches need to be "manually" created by the CVS admins, I simply do a
"cvs update -d new-package-name" and then copy all of my local files
(spec, patches, sources) to the new directory's devel sub-directory,
use "make new-sources FILES="foo1 foo2" there, test a local build, then
add/commit/tag and finally build :-)

All this to say that cvs-import.sh isn't even actually _required_
anymore :-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.20-1.2943.fc6
Load : 2.34 2.20 2.00