[GuidelinesChange] UTF8 filenames

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 09:42:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 09:48 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> > We could define it as a negative "(ASCII does not include accented
> > letters or special symbols like ©)".
>
> Been there, tried that, anything but a chart or an image like the one you
> proposed is not a sufficient cluestick
>
> > Basically, I think a good portion of anglo-centric packagers won't know
> > what the relationship is between ASCII and UTF-8.
>
> Sure. But a good portion of anglo-centric packagers won't know what ASCII
> is either. Try to poll people someday you'll be surprised.

I think trying to make the packaging guidelines explain everything to
the level that a random person on the street can understand is a loosing
proposition. We can assume that packagers have more interest in these
topics than the average computer user. Also we have a review process
where any misunderstandings can be clarified in discussion with the
reviewer.